Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Stress Needs To Be Adressed

Once I finished reading What should colleges teach? Part three I felt that fishes thoughts were right. All students should be on the same level. Such as College freshman they all should start out at the same level learning at the same pace , all student world wide. I say this because it make things much easier and students would learn better and much faster.I've had friends that came to America from Africa and Egypt and they have to start all over because they aren't learning what we are and in some cases might have to repeat a grade to catch up to our standards.

The stress it causes students when left behind

As written in Fishes Blog What Should Colleges Teach? Part 3 "It is because our students come to us unable to write clean English sentences that we are obligated to supply what they did not receive from their previous teachers." He is also right about that. Students come into college upset because of the g level system such as taking your placement test and receiving a low score and being put into and English class that you’re not receiving any credit for. This in the student’s case can really mess up the time in which you will be graduating.

Fishes ides of giving students a piece to read and having them recreate it. I think that this is a good slow pace to start off with they won’t run into to many problems and it will also open their thought’s. My first semester of freshman English we had to go to Ohio State Newark’s writers studio to observe students and PWC’S to see what they were talking about and to gets there thought about writing. I think that that helped me and my classmates out a lot because we know more things now that we experienced those sessions we started off slow and went on to bigger ideas. The observation’s made us more successful in our class word and paper that we had to do.
Smaller steps leads to big success

Another point that I would like to point out that fished talked about in his post was how high schools and middle schools are not teaching the right way. I can comment on that because I’m fresh out of high school and once I got to college and started my classes I was lost. I’d be in English class and he’d ask something and I’m like oh that’s new I never heard that word when I should have learned it time ago. So I not knowing what he’s teaching threw me off in the beginning. Most schools are teaching students that are in the same grade and supposed to be on the same level different things.

It is a bad thing that students are not able to write decent English sentences. It is really bad when it’s their native language and they still can’t get a hold on it. Fish talks about this in what should college’s teach part 3.I’ve haven’t really thought about how bad it was until I read this post in sat in English/ writing class and have been completely lost when I should know this it is my born native language.

Although some or most people will disagree with fish as said by Eric Schwitzgelbel in the article the splintered mind. I’m like your number one fan because we have the same insight on college writing. You also tell all of you’re feeling about the situations that you’ve encountered without leaving and out. All of the things that were happening when you were in the class room teaching you let your audience know so that they can get insight and learn from the mistakes that are being made in English today. Fish’s whole idea about the same pace and taking it slow idea is a great idea. I hope that all teachers could read this and fix this problem otherwise it will keep going and going. This is an issue that needs to be addressed and fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment