Thursday, December 14, 2017

Common connection between me and Fish




During the semester at Ohio State University in Newark me and my classmates were given multiple assignment that would help each other get better at writing but there were these two assignment one where I would have to learn why sources are important when writing papers and another where I would have to survey random people who are current students of a college or graduates who have graduated in a six-month time frame what is needed to become a good college writer? Some of their answers were to make sure that I do not waste time on the writing assignment and start early on it, and others said to make sure that I have sources to support what I am trying to say or in other words it would be better to have detail in what you are writing which matches with a reading that we were also assigned to do and make a response towards what we had read in a blog. 


Getting better in writing papers over time

The blog post was by man named Stanley Fish "What colleges should teach", where he states his opinion about what colleges should teach and in his column I agree with what Fish is saying where he explains to the reader that colleges should have methods of teaching students how to write better such as having them reading more in order to increase the students’ vocabulary so that they could have more word choices to choose from when writing. Also it was interesting to me how he was discussing the different steps that you could take when you have to write a paper. One thing that I noticed while reading was that he was talking about how reading books is an important method for students to help teach them how to write better, it also teaches them some formatting and grammar skills.


Teaching writing in a earlier time






I agree with what Fish is saying I feel that there is another step missing in his column which is the fact the we actually teach students how to properly write in college, when I feel like it should started at a much earlier time. The reason why I say that is because have you ever met someone that can write or type a paper with ease, or someone that can not type a paper to save their life? Well I’m one of those people that cannot type a long paper with ease. I don’t know why I have such a hard time writing paper’s I guess its because I do not put enough detail in my paper because I feel that I could answer a question or make a statement with just one to five sentences that would answer the question completely.


When you are struggling to write a paper
I still struggle with writing papers and I know that over time I will get better as I continue to take English class and getting help when needed. Lastly another thing that interested me in the article by Fish he speaks about the importance of structure in a sentence and having detail when writing a paper and explaining why its important which really is similar to what I am having trouble with because when I write I have an issue with not writing enough because I feel like I could answer a question or write about something in a very brief way and not having to have like a extended answer on a topic. Even though there are people that I know that write to much and then in the end of their paper they would have to cut some things out and get to the point. And there are people that would have to extend their meaning by including sources to help support what they are trying to say.  I believe that over time I will get better at it and that would make me a better writer overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment