Thursday, December 5, 2013

Not Your Average Fish Fry

WINNER WINNER CHI...... FISH DINNER?
After reading Fish’s essay of “What should be taught in the college writing classroom,” I realized that I do agree the teaching of building sentences is important in the English classroom. But, if you’re only focused on the creation of sentences, you miss out on the most important factor of writing. In which I believe through my observation tutorials at the Writer’s studio, along with my research; that analytical research should be taught in English composition. During an eight week period I had the privilege to sit in on a one weekly 48 minute tutoring tutorial session at the Writer’s Studio. For all but one of my sessions I observed a student named Dalton, and workshop tutor Rachel. In the absence of Dalton in the fourth session. I had to observe Jonathan the workshop tutor, and Chris the student.

Analytical research is important in the classroom in order so that the students do not misinterpret the text. If material in the text is misinterpreted students could write papers that would be inaccurate, stating faulty
"I just don't get it?!"
information. It is also very difficult to tell if you misinterpreted a reading selection, because the only way of knowing that the interpretation is correct is if the thought is somewhat relevant as another person’s thought. One of my observations Rachel noticed Dalton was having difficulty with a certain section. He told Rachel, “I can’t determine if this section deals with Thoreau in confusion, or simplicity as an overall meaning.” Rachel tells him,” If you are not sure what the author wants you to get out of the text you have to use the context clues to help form a hypothesis.”

I hate repetition! I hate repetition! 
In the classroom analytical research should be used in order for the students to notice that the author is using repetition, or pattern in order to emphasize his points or an overall idea. If a student did not take note of the repetition he, or she would have a totally different idea of what the text was about. In one of my sessions, Dalton analyzed a source from Thoreau. And Rachel said to Dalton, “Is there anything that sticks out in this section.” Dalton hesitated for a couple of seconds and replied, “The only thing I notice is that everything at the end of the sentence ends in ‘-in’” Rachel interrupted by asking, “What does this pattern tell you?”    

When a college teacher makes his lessons one of his or her focuses should be on organized analytical notes. As we all know that we do not remember everything we read, so having something you can record An example in one of my sessions Rachel is concerned that Dalton has so many great ideas that he won’t remember them when it comes down to writing the research paper. As Dalton is in the middle of one of his ideas Rachel interrupts him, “keep a piece of paper by you to write down the ideas that you get, and try to categorize them as your list gets larger.”The information and thoughts that  are recorded can be very helpful when the students have to write their paper.

 I believe analytical research process is the most important factor in college writing due to my research and observations at the Writer’s Studio. On the other hand, Fish believes that the creation and building of sentences is what the composition English classroom should solely be focused on. If Fish were teaching a class he would miss out on analytical process along with many essential that students need to be a successful writer. Would you want to be taught to only build sentences?... Or, have a general understanding of an English Composition class? I'll let you decide...

No comments:

Post a Comment