Thursday, April 26, 2018

How Could You Not Organize ?

In the article "What College Should Teach Pt.3" Stanley Fish argues how high school are not being taught in an effective way and how students are not prepared for college and how it effects college professors because they have to re-teach the course. He designed an excercise for his student to extend the basic for his basic insight. He ask them to" turn a three-word sentence into 100-word sentence." He also ask students to replace the nonsense words with ordinary English word". He is basically states that sentence structure is the most important skill. He said " I can only cite local successes in my class."  I totally agree when writing a paper sentence structure plays a role in it, but that is not the most important, organizing is.




       How can you start a paper without organizing ? That is what really plays a big role in your paper. Before you even get to typing you must have a plan and with that plan you think about how you're going to organize your thoughts and ideas. Even if you're free writing you  would still have to go back, edit and move around sentences to make sure it make sense. This is the key to writing a successful paper. Organizing is important when it comes to writing any type of paper.


There isn't a right or wrong way when mapping out your ideas. You want to make sure you're making it clear on whats being said. Never leave your audience confused and all over the place. They won't read your paper ! Keep them engage and entertain ! This is why organizing is the key. You want to make sure your ideas match your topic. You want to make sure it has a steady flow.


How did I determine that organizing is important?  During my research I was able to meet with a tutor from The Ohio State University at Newark and emailed a English professor whose taught college level writing for 11 years. So they know exactly what they are talking about. I read an article called  Forget Formulas: Teaching Form through Function in Slow Writing and Reading as a Writer by Michelle Tremmel. In her article she writes "Organizing has affected the students as they try to move on to the next level" . Students were not able to because of the little knowledge they know about organizing. It has left them confused and placed in remedial class until improvement is shown.

After all my research I've done on this topic I've experienced not being organize when writing and trust me its frustrating. I tend to branch off a few times, but when I go back to preview I realize how unorganized I was. It made me realize how important it is when it comes to putting a paper together. Yes I do agree with Fisher about sentences being important and learning grammar but he focuses on just a small part of writing.When you look at the bigger picture students really needs to know how to organize. They're many ways to do so and that's the only way you'll bring your paper together.

No comments:

Post a Comment