Thursday, April 26, 2018

What Should Colleges Teach

There are many ways on how to do research. According to a series of research questions I had answered, research is the most important part of a college writers essay. I believe middle and high schools do not teach students enough about how to research. From creating a written plan to citing, play your cards right and you will most likely get a good grade. Stanley Fish wrote an article about how students are coming into college without knowing how to structure their sentences that was 

published by the New York Times
Stanley Fish is a professor of humanities and law at Florida International University, in Miami. Fish taught in six different schools around the United States and is the author of 15 books. Fish wrote an article that was published by the New York Times and he claims that students are coming to college without common writing skills
Fish claims that schools are not teaching students sentence structure, manly the students for public schools. "By all the evidence, high schools and middle schools are not teaching writing skills in an effective way, if they are teaching them at all. The exception seems to be Catholic schools. More than a few commentators remembered with a mixture of fondness and pain the instruction they received at the hands of severe nuns. And I have found that those students in my classes who do have a grasp of the craft of writing are graduates of parochial schools." I agree to a certain extent; however, I believe research is much more falsified than sentence structure. 
I believe research is an important factor that’s is not taught in middle or high schools. I conducted my own survey on, what is the most important part of a college writers to think about when writing, that I sent to current college students, and research came up to be the most important part of a college writers essay. How do you conduct good research became the main question that I was focused on. I observed a tutor (Zac Colopy) from The Ohio State University at Newark at the Writer's Studio. I also interviewed a teacher (Dr. Jeff Butcher) who received his B.A. in English, M.A. in English-Literature, and his Ph.D. in English-Literature. I additionally have had experienced this problem. I had to teach myself how to actually research and I learned about all the different types of sources I will need in a research paper.
After making the plan you have to execute it.
The first part in researching is having a plan. A topic plays a huge roll in your plan because you won't be able to research if you don’t know what to search for. You should make a list of key words that should help you find your topic and this way if you are on a data base website you can search all the different key words that you have listed. You can also possibly find deeper thinking and understanding of that certain part or the whole topic. I have done this and found out that there are different sub categories that I can choose from or write about. 
According to Dr. Jeff Butcher, having different types of research is a great way to situate your topic, "If researching for an academic topic, books and peer-reviewed journals are important because they help us situate our topic in a certain area of discourse. At the same time, websites and videos and others can be just as important because these types of sources help us situate the text in a specific time frame (and also allow us to engage in public discourse as well)." 
Can you tell me a little about this a car?

Fish has a great point with sentence structures, on the other hand, I`m convinced that research is not touched up on as much as it should be. From experience I believe colleges should focus heavily on teaching how to do research. There are many research lessons that were left out in middle school and high school. For example, being a car guy, I find it funny when I go to a car dealership and ask the car salesmen to tell me about the car, but it turns out that I know more about the car then he or she does. Teachers don’t want to hear what they already know they want to hear something new that they can learn from. Research is taught in high school and middle school, but its just showing you that you have the ability to use the school library`s website and they don't talk about the different types of sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment