Thursday, December 6, 2018

Thinking one Step Back of Fish Way

Would you be able to develop sentence structure without reading the material? Think about it, can you take advantage courses without meeting the prerequisites? No right! everything you do, you have to start building up from the bottom. So you have enough knowledge to deal with challenges that are coming to face you. I read an article that was published by the New York Times. It is called “What Should Colleges Teach? (Part 3)by Stanley Fish. He argues that college professors should teach students on how to build sentence structure. Because having the understanding of simple things can construct your writing expertise and “everything follows”.

Image result for continuing gif
Scroll down for more info.

But before that who is Fish? And why does his notion matter? Well, he is a very known theorist of humanity, literacy theorists, he is an English professor who taught at many universities and he's an author. The latest book he published is called “Winning Arguments”. So I’m going to try not to have an argument with Fish because I will probably lose but instead I would like to point out an important step that comes ahead of sentence structure.

Related image
Fish nervously waiting for what I have to say

I can’t completely say that I disagree with Fish’s point because sentence structures are what an essay consists of. However, in order to improve your sentence structures, you would have to read the instructions to start with. Therefore, reading is a fundamental way to improve your writing and everything else you could imagine. I’m glad that he actually brought up the importance of reading. He mentioned in the article “by passing your eyes over many pages you will learn how to write through osmosis?”. He has approved that reading will help you to learn how to write properly without any obvious effort. But I wished his argumentative was focused on reading instead of sentence structures just to follow the order steps.

Image result for trump wait a minute gif
Like I said I just added my point, not arguing!!

We know that reading helps us in many ways yet we don’t read, we actually prioritize it. Why? because “reading is not the favorite pastime of today’s youth”. Maybe college professors need to concentrate on how to make students like to read. Not the reading that you pick up a book and feel obligated but the kind of reading that makes you think you're the person who is in the book and experience the moment.

Image result for reading gif
The moment when you realize reading is fascinating...

Here I will list some of the steps I took to conduct information for my reading research paper
Image result for wow ok gif
WOW, I really did all that.
  1. I observed 30 minutes tutorial session in Writers Studio at Newark
  2. I got in touch with tutor Chance to ask the question from the observation session
  3. I created a survey to collect data from college students about college writing
  4. I did library research to get more evidence and information
  5. I corresponded with Dr.Keller who has a Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Composition
Yes, I know all that I have researched is not equivalent or even close to someone who has written 17 books and mastered literacy theories. Yes, my writing response to Mr. Fish will not be published in New York Times neither will it be appraised.


Shout out to all the real ones :)
But I did have enough research to share my voice and what I think is right. All opinions need to be taken into consideration. Plus I was surrounded by many professional people that helped me to come up with this conclusion. Like Dr. Boczkowski who is my English professor and Writer's Studio Assistant Coordinator, Dr. Keller who has had 17 years of experience and the writer studio members who helped me through my steps.

Within in this journey and my personal experience, I have learned that everything you want to do in life would be made easier, better and fulfills by reading. Want to be a critical thinker? Read. Want to develop sentence structure? Read. Want to enhance your vocabulary? Read. And just to let you know this list does not end. Sentence structures will only improve one thing where reading is unlimited for improvement.

Image result for reading environment gif
This is like the extravagant type of feeling right here
One of the greatest reasons why reading is important is the fact that it is real life experiences. There have been billions of amazing people who lived all before of us that wrote their lives or wishes to inspire us. So if you want advice, ideas, knowledge, motivation, or maybe when just feeling down anything you could think of is written in a book and that is waiting for someone like you to read and learn from it. There is no way you could have a new problem whilst reading. You will learn to grow mentally and academically and with those qualities, no problem will stop you. So get up get your coffee, find your peaceful oasis, and throw on some classical music in the background. Set up your setting and get lost in the feeling. I'm hoping this essay has inspired you to do your thing, Enjoy your reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment